Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Should We Stop the Internet Paper Trail?

For those of you who may have missed the memo, much of what you click, search and surf online can be tracked by advertisers. Ever notice that it seems like some ads on the Internet are tailored just for you? Well, they are, and you might as well get used to it.

Or do you?
Back to the topic of IE8...check out the article, and I'm curious to know who you are siding with: the advertisers or the people? On one hand, we can enjoy our favorite websites for free because advertising pays the bills. This means it's okay for them to find out our age, gender and zip code, so they can supply us with ads and information that "better meet our needs". On the other hand, do we actually have a choice about how much information we will allow companies to collect about us without our direct permission or knowledge? It appears as if IE8 will allow users to remove the electronic paper trail advertisers rely on.

Hmmm...an interesting media debate. You weigh in.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that it was possible for all these advertising companies to actually track what you're doing online! I think it's a little scary how they can even see what ur writing on your e-mail and don't think it's okay for them to do it. I'm in favor of the new InPrivate thing in the new microsoft. We should have the control of the online information we choose to share, or not!

Anonymous said...

As the Internet has evolved and grown, it has undoubtedly left a mark on the fabric of society. Whether that mark is a stain or a work or art is another debate altogether. To me, the issue of privacy seems drastically simpler. First, it should come as no surprise to anyone that such technology exists. Nor should it surprise us that advertisers and industry giants want to fine-tune their ads to attract specific target markets from the vast numbers of Internet consumers. Second, a simple inspection of privacy law reveals that when we log on to the Internet, we lose our expectation of privacy anyway. And finally, what is the harm in targeted ads? In a perfect world, there would be no ads at all. However, since that isn’t feasible, wouldn’t you prefer to have the ads you are forced to see at least be of interest to you?

Tori Benden said...

While it is a frightening sign of the times, most advertisers only collect information as to what sites you visit and the nature of said sites. They aren't reading your e-mail or copying your credit card numbers. If they want to know what I'm into, so be it. Granted, I'm willing to bet my use of StumbleUpon will throw them off more than the possibility of me surfing privately.

Sara Gress said...

I was also clueless that advertisers were able to track our every move online, a little invasive don't you think? I'm not sure whether to be mad or commend advertisers for coming up with this sales tactic. It is definitely a wise way to sell and promote products. Aaron makes a good point about the ads that we have to see every time we log on to the internet, I would much rather it be an ad that is of interest to me!

Joshua said...

WOW... thats all i can say... except i realize that alot of companies get alot of their money from these kind of advertisements...making it cheaper for viewers like us...if these companies can see this information.. can they get into my bank account also? i use internet banking for all my month to month bills.. its really handy, but information like that can destroy someones life... i know that i've already been victim to credit card theft..

Tina said...

I agree with Martina about InPrivate, but Sara's right, too. If I absolutely have to see them, I'd rather read about Nordstorm's sale than a video game ad! I've had Identity theft in the past, similar to Josh. I think there should be a safer way to collect info without intrusion.