Friday, September 26, 2008

Extra Credit Alert: You Weigh in on the First Televised Presidential Debate

All classes, from now until Monday at noon, leave your comments about Friday's debate between Senator John McCain and Senator Barack Obama. I'll give you five extra credit points.

Here are my immediate thoughts:

Sen. McCain dominated the military conversations, Sen. Obama took the lead on the economy. Obama kept calling McCain, "John". Meantime, I didn't hear McCain calling his opponent, "Barack".

To me, McCain seemed to answer most of his questions in a narrative format, meaning several answers were more like stories. Obama had a hard time interrupting McCain on a number of occasions, as McCain seemed to take over.

Overall, I thought it was a good-spirited debate, not overly contentious. Both sides are in turbo-spin mode. Both sides claim victory.

Also, I'd be curious to know if you watched any of the news coverage afterwards, and what your thoughts were. I, of course, flipped around (and at this hour, still am flipping because I'm a news nerd). CNN seems to have 25 people commenting, Sen. Biden is in spin mode...Where's Sarah Palin? Fox News and MSNBC have their usual suspects. The talking points I keep hearing are: Obama said a number of times he "agreed" with McCain. Meanwhile, McCain repeated the phrase "you don't understand" to Obama several times.

A Gen Y note...both respective YouTube channels already house propaganda videos from tonight's debate. (Obama, McCain)

Okay, that's enough from me...now it's your turn.

What do you think? In your opinion, who won? What lines did you find memorable? In addition, are there relevant issues you didn't hear discussed that you think should have been? Do these debates matter to you?

7 comments:

Lillith Renee said...

first of all, I would like to say that my current stance on who I think should be America's next President still changes with the hour. However, I really think within the first ten minutes Obama showed his aggresiveness and McCain proved to seem more sensitive to the U.S. economic situation. Their demeanors were just entirely different. I believe Obama's quote that really stuck in my head was, "We can't just have resposibility when there is a crisis." which really will resignate with many Americans, I think.

Paddy Kilmurray said...

Being impartial to the election (not an American citizen) really makes individual idiosyncrasies stand out, eg. Obama refering to senator McCain as John, and McCain's rye smile every time he disagreed with something Obama was saying, however, it seemed very very generic and prepared. Both candidates seemed to tippy toe around issues and left without making any real gains.

Patrick Kilmurray

Ryan said...

I didn't get to see the debate because I was at the special showing of A Clockwork Orange, which was pretty freaking amazing. The movie was pretty twisted, but Malcom McDowell had an awsome Q&A at the end.

Chelsea's Blog said...

Watching this debate, I could understand McCain much better than Obama. McCain flowed with his words and made since of what he was saying. When I was listening to Obama, his speech was flustered and not really catching my attention. Overall, I thought McCain did a much better job of explaining his role as president and how much better it would be in his hands than of Obama's. I loved how McCain would disagree with Obama and criticize his words. He gave the impression that Obama wasn’t experienced and knows little about what he should do to make the country better.

Tina said...

I watched the debates and I do think the questions hit home. Realizing, from candidates, that the US is in financial distress-comparable to the Great Depression is quite serious. Who will spend our money wisely? Obama stated we are borrowing money from overseas and McCain said it could be ending up in the hands of terrorists. Our financial future is dim which could mean tax increases or limited spending bills. McCain vetoing all spending bills could cut education funding or other areas which America needs to focus on, rather than the war. Anchor Jim Lehrer had problems in the beginning to get the two to talk to each other. Obama was straightforward while McCain seemed to be talking to the audience. I'm not sure who to vote for yet, but watching Friday's debates, I realized I need to be watching constantly.

Ryoko.N said...

I watched the debates on the web. I could see that Obama appealed strongly by using the word "Generation" many times in the first part of his speech. also he mentioned "a ot of YOUNG people hear tonight!" McCain is 72 years old now...
I like the part of Obama's speech the truth is through 90 minutes debating.. McCain had alot of saiying about me,but he had nothing to say about you.."
"!!!!!!"

Jake Lopez said...

I have been following this election for quite some time now and I still continue to put my faith in Barack Obama. I have an open mind to everything within these debates and I still feel as if Obama should be President come November.

I watched the debate when it aired and I kept seeing the "pointing-finger politics" from John McCain. He continues to tell his audience more of why Barack Obama should NOT be President rather than why he SHOULD. I see him repeat the same point for different questions being asked and feeling as if his answers are new to us. Barack gives numerous points to numerous arguments and backs up much of what he has to say with facts. I don't want a President that doesn't have answers or gives the same one. I don't want a politician in office. I want an American. The American I see that is best suited for President in November is Barack Obama.