Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"Is YouTube the Next Google?"

As we often study how people use media in our courses, I thought I'd share this post with you from a website called ReadWriteWeb.  The article discusses the idea that one day, we may use YouTube as our primary search engine.  Essentially, we would prefer video information over text.  Anything relevant we would need to search, surely there's a video or two on YouTube about it!  

You are the experts, you tell me.  When you want information, do you go to Google first, or to YouTube?  Can you see the progression the author is talking about?  With the lure of rich media, will we begin to prefer video over text?  

The article got me thinking of recent examples where I've used YouTube, instead of Google, and I immediately began to understand.  Just last week I was curious about a treacherous ski run in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  Well if the ski run is that infamous, certainly there are YouTube videos for it!  And sure enough a few seconds later, I find Corbet's Coulior is chillin', just waiting for me to click, like the 11,575 times it's been watched before.  

Not only did I learn from this video that there's no way on God's green earth I will EVER ski down this thing, but I also picked up a phrase that I have already repeated at least 15 times just to be funny..."he just did yard sale".  Modeling would be the academic phrase for mimicking, right?  (don't act like you haven't picked up lingo from YouTube videos)

And almost immediately, I'm reminded of the truly fascinating media world we live in.  Isn't it crazy, that somehow, after watching this video, I feel as if I have experienced this mountain and feel compelled to repeat phrases from it?

These are the things that keep me up at night and so excited to be teaching media courses at this stage in the game.  

Speaking of YouTube, did anyone notice the change in video player size?

5 comments:

Tina said...

It seems like everyone uses Youtube for school and fun, but I've never paid attention. I've always used books or google for research. Listening and watching to someone talk on Youtube is entertaining, I guess, but I retain more information when I'm reading. I'm sure it'll just become more and more popular, but I probably still won't keep up with it.

Lillith Renee said...

i think it depends on the event you're searching... I mean if there was a news article that I wanted to read about a law being passed I'm not going to want to watch a YouTube video of congress in session... However, if there was a YouTube video of a fire in the congress building, I might want to watch instead of read that...

FrankieV said...

YouTube has made substaintial strides in being the intermidiate source for internet users. But I do not think it has yet to become Google because Google has a lot more capabilities than Youtube.

Ashley P said...

Surprisingly enough, I just did a powerpoint for a class and had a video embedded in my presentation and it really helped smoothed things over well. There's tons of educational videos on You tube that can help enhance what you're trying to say. I look to google as more of a context search engine, rather than videos.

Crystal Jenkins said...

Youtube is great for videos and more information, but I have to admit, when retrieving direct information, I still utilize Google. So, I can't quite say which one is better, or if one is better. I utilize both! They should both stay in business. Let everyone keep their jobs! LOL!